Tuesday 10 September 2013

Well I Spoke too Soon!

Well it really does sum up my year really. After boasting in my past couple of posts about not having sinus infections and being on less pain medication, the poop has hit the fan again. I started to develop a really weird headache in the front corner of my skull. I did not really think much of it as I have been under some stress since returning from holiday where mum had badly broken her ankle. We have been spending more time at the accident and emergency room than at home the past few weeks. Mum had suspected blood clots and was getting a huge amount of pain in her whole ankle and calf muscle.


When the hospital took the plaster off to investigate the clots, they were not happy with the ankle and its positioning. They decided to re-break and manipulate the ankle whilst my mum was still awake. It was one of the most horrific things I have seen. It really upset me to see my mum in pain like that and me not being able to do anything to help her. She was really brave and managed to get through it without swearing. Anyone who has met my mum knows she is not a stranger to colourful language lol .

Because we were in urgent care we were also seeing all the trauma patients being brought through and one woman was crying and losing her baby in the room opposite. Despite the horrific scenes I saw, it was really comforting and reassuring to see that humanity is still alive. Everybody in critical care was joining together and supporting one another. Social barriers are lowered in favour of care and support for the people around us. All of the patients and staff were wonderful and very kind.

I got home after spending 2 days in A&E mortified and drained. I had been pulling mum around in a wheelchair for half of it and I had spent another 48 hours holding my fat head on my neck. The muscles had just gone into a wild spasm and there was nothing I could do to ease the pain in my face or neck. I resorted to lying on the sofa with heat packs in between caring for mum. Again I have no idea why my muscles behave like this.

So I started to develop this headache in the top right of my skull and I noticed the insides of my ears were really hurting. Anybody who had TMD/TMJ will know that this is a normal symptom of this disorder. As the days went on I started to develop nerve pain down the side of my face and the pressure started to build again. I was in a panic and called the doctor. I was praying this was not the start of more infections or worse it was the start of atypical nerve pain again. I spoke with my doctor and they advised that I try some antibiotics to treat a sinus infection. I was given a week’s course of doxycycline and told to call back if the symptoms got any worse. After a week some of the pressure had decreased but I still had pain on the left side of my face. This is the side I had my original constant trigeminal pain from years ago. I called my doctor and he prescribed another 2 weeks of antibiotics. Fingers crossed this will help. If I start getting infections again I might have to undergo more surgery. But we will cross that bridge if it comes to it.

In the meantime, I have been using a salt sinus rinse and Karvol inhalations to see if that will ease some of the pain. The issue I have when I have infections is that I never have a runny nose. It seems the bacteria grows but cannot find a way out of my body.

On an even more annoying note I had to rearrange my appointment at King’s Pain Clinic with Mr Poate because I did not have anyone to come with me. I do not travel alone on public transport since I was attacked at the age of 17. I did have high hopes of going on the train by myself but the night before I was just in a mess. I was crying, shaking and really stressed out. By the time the morning came my muscles were rigid and my anxiety levels were through the roof. Hence this is why I have to wait another 3 months before my next appointment.

Mum could see I was really struggling and upset so she made me an appointment to visit the doctors last Thursday. The doctor was new so I had to explain the whole story to her from the beginning and a 15 minute appointment ended up lasting 1 hour. I do apologise to the people who were behind me. My previous physiotherapist’s and my massage lady Christine, have all expressed concerns about my neck and back. I have developed two lumps at the back of my head and any exercise I do flares up the muscles in my face and neck. They have all mentioned that I might have a slight curve in my spine or possibly my one of my hips is higher than the other. The doctor checked me over. We discussed the numbness I have down the right side of my chest and arm since orthognathic surgery and the vertebrae that is slightly sticking out in my neck. The doctor decided to have my bloods checked and send me to the hospital for a back x-ray. She has also re-prescribed me amitriptyline to cope with the pain and to help me sleep. I do not remember the last time I had a nice night’s sleep, so if the pills can help with that I would be very happy.

I really do not like taking pills. But the pain would not allow me to function on a day to day basis or in fact do something as simple as write this blog. I have tried acupuncture, I also visited an osteopath, I tried aromatherapy, massages, meditation, herbs and supplements. I recently re-read one of my favourite books “Wild Love” by Gill Edwards and I read a chapter on energy psychology. I am a great believer in the human body’s ability to heal itself and this type of holistic area really resonated with me. I went on to amazon and purchased a text book and a dvd on energy psychology for £3 each. Once I have tested this treatment I will definitely be writing a blog review for you all.



On a positive note I do have some good news. YAY! I have recently completed the website for my new business project SG Virtual Office. This is a service which provides remote PA, admin and secretarial services for sole traders and small businesses. I have over 8 years of experience in the field of administration and HR. I thought that this would be a perfect start up business for me to pursue whilst I am still recovering and undergoing treatment. I am really excited about this new venture and I hope that this will also aid in the growth and promotion of the Jaw & Face charity.  

Check out the website and let me know what you think: www.sg-virtual-office.co.uk



Anyway I think I have rambled on enough for today. I hope you are all well. To those who I have neglected over the past few weeks, I hope this blog explains my distance and silence.  Furthermore, I would like to give a huge thank you to everybody who has purchased my charity booklet “What They Don’t Tell YouAbout Orthognathic Surgery!” Your feedback on the product has been so great and I am pleased to put the money towards creating the Jaw & Face Charity for facial deformity and facial pain disorders.

Look out for my osteopath vs facial pain blog coming soon!

Available now



To find out more click on the link below:


If you would like to be kept informed about the latest work I am undertaking and want to receive more content from the Jaw & Face charity project, you can subscribe for FREE on the link below. 

Additional to this, if you have not already, please join me on my Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and google+ accounts. Stay tuned for more useful booklets and YouTube videos coming soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment